Where can I buy a fishing ticket?
You can fish in the lake, but must buy a fishing day ticket from Biddulph Town Hall (see ‘Biddulph Town Hall Reception’ page for opening times).
The management of the Visitor Centre was taken over by Biddulph Town Council in August 2020, with plans to refurbish and provide a base for a local business. Once the Visitor Centre re-opens, you’ll also be able to buy a fishing ticket there.
The Country Park was purchased by Staffordshire Moorlands District Council (SMDC) in 1988 and remains under their control. SMDC permit Biddulph Town Council to sell up to 11 tickets for a day – the remaining 11 fishing points are retained by Angling Club members.
How much is a fishing ticket?
Day tickets cost £7 (cash only). They can be bought in advance. Up to 2 rods can be used for each ticket.
Do I need a rod licence?
Yes you do. Getting caught without a licence could land a fine of up to £2,500. You can buy a 1 day, 8 day or 12 month licence online directly from GOV.UK; prices range from £6 to £30, depending on which type you buy, etc.
Children under 13 do not need a licence. Licences for children aged 13-16 are free, but you still need to get a junior licence.
Here’s a link to the ‘Buy a Rod Fishing Licence’ page on the Government’s website:
You can also buy adult licences at a Post Office or by calling the Environment Agency (0344 800 5386 Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm).
Can I fish at night?
You can fish until dusk – there is no night fishing.
When is closed fishing season?
Fishing is prohibited during the period when most fish are either preparing for, recovering from or actually spawning, giving them protection to improve the health and resilience of fish stocks. Fishing is closed for 3 months, from and including 30 April until 15 June.
What fish are in the lake?
When the lake was built in 1903 it was stocked with 250 yearling trout. You can fish for perch, tench, roach and carp.
Fishing Ticket – Rules
- Valid only as dated.
- Anglers must be in possession of an Environment Agency National rod licence when fishing.
- No more than 2 rods shall be used at any one time.
- The use of lead weights is forbidden.
- Barbed hooks of any size are forbidden.
- Fish only between dawn and dusk.
- No fish to be taken away.
- No carp to be kept in a keepnet.
- No tins or cans of any sort to be taken to the water.
- The lighting of fires, depositing of litter of any kind (especially nylon fishing line), bad language or misconduct will result in expulsion.
- Note the closed fishing season runs from 30 April to 15 June.
Here’s a link to the ‘Biddulph Grange Country Park’ page on Staffordshire Moorland’s District Council’s website: